Caution: This contains SPOILERS.
Reading Identity with a book group? Use these questions to spur the discussion.
1. If you could give Sharlah one piece of advice, what would it be?
2. Are Brian’s actions noble, or foolish? Both? Neither?
3. What did you think happened to Sharlah after the hurricane? What clues led you to that conclusion?
4. Several characters are motivated by guilt and shame. Can those ever be positive influences?
5. How do you think Sharlah’s childhood influenced her decisions? How did Brian’s background affect his?
6. Which character do you think changed the most over the course of the book?
7. Which character did you identify with most?
8. Describe your favorite part of the book.
9. If you could ask the author a question, what would it be?
10. Cast the movie: Who would play Sharlah? Brian? Mitch?
11. If you had the chance to create an entirely new identity, what would you do?
12. Which character do you wish you knew better?