Caution: This contains SPOILERS.
Reading Identity with a book group? Use these questions to spur the discussion.
- If you could give Sharlah one piece of advice, what would it be?
- Are Brian’s actions noble, or foolish? Both? Neither?
- What did you think happened to Sharlah after the hurricane? What clues led you to that conclusion?
- Several characters are motivated by guilt and shame. Can those ever be positive influences?
- How do you think Sharlah’s childhood influenced her decisions? How did Brian’s background affect his?
- Which character do you think changed the most over the course of the book?
- Which character did you identify with most?
- Describe your favorite part of the book.
- If you could ask the author a question, what would it be?
- Cast the movie: Who would play Sharlah? Brian? Mitch?
- If you had the chance to create an entirely new identity, what would you do?
- Which character do you wish you knew better?